A crown restoration is the most common restorative procedure performed by a dentist. A dental crown is a fixed prosthetic dental device used to fix fractured, cracked, discolored, and decayed teeth. It is a tooth-shaped porcelain cap which is permanently cemented to damaged teeth and fully encases the entire tooth structure that is present above the gum line. Dental crowns are custom-made using your mouth's impression and blend in really well with your natural teeth. A dental crown has the following benefits:
How is a dental crown placed?
A dental crown can be successfully placed in two appointments in the following manner:
1. The affected tooth is numbed using a local anesthetic to protect you from discomfort and pain.
2. Accurate impressions of your mouth, including your maxillary and mandibular arches are obtained and forwarded to a dental laboratory. Also, a shade guide is used to obtain the perfect shade of your natural teeth. These are required for custom-fabricating a crown to match the exact shape, size, and color of your natural teeth.
3. A dental dam is used to isolate the affected tooth from the rest of the mouth. It also traps old filling material, tooth structure, and water from falling into your mouth.
4. The affected tooth is prepared to receive the crown. In the case of cavities, the decay is removed from the tooth and a filling material is used to close the hollow. Then the tooth enamel is drilled or reduced to create room for the crown.
5. Impressions of the newly prepared tooth are obtained and sent to the dental laboratory along with the impressions of your mandibular and maxillary arches. These impressions are obtained with great precision and care in order to get a perfectly fitting permanent crown.
6. A temporary crown is placed over the prepared tooth and cemented in place using a temporary dental adhesive. It protects the prepared tooth from any kind of damage and holds it securely in place. You will wear a temporary crown until your permanent crown has been fabricated.
7. When the permanent crown is ready, you will be called in for a second appointment. The temporary crown will be removed and the prepared tooth will be cleaned and disinfected with an antimicrobial solution and disinfectants. The permanent crown will then be cemented in place. Your dentist will make sure that the permanent crown fits well and does not alter the bite pressure.
We at Doan Dental use state of the art technology to systematically restore the damage and enhance your smile. With a custom treatment plan, your smile will look more youthful, lustrous and radiate health and beauty. Dr. Trung Doan has 13 years of experience under his belt and has his dedicated team to treat multiple dental issues with full-mouth reconstruction and cosmetic dentistry. Doan Dental transforms the smiles of patients living at Rancho Santa Margarita and Orange in California. Book an appointment with us at (949)713-6720 or (714) 634-8111 or visit us at 26111 Antonio Pkwy #200, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688 or at 1409 W Chapman Ave #B, Orange, CA 92868.