What Should I Do If I Chip My Tooth Rancho Santa Margarita, CA?
At Doan Dental Group we are regularly asked, “What should I do if I chip my tooth?” This is actually a fairly common problem. If you live in the Rancho Santa Margarita area, we encourage you to call (949) 713-6720 as soon as your tooth becomes chipped. As a general dentist, we can examine and treat you right away.
As an emergency dentist, the first thing we want to do is determine how serious the damage is. In order to do so, we will ask you several questions when you call to schedule an appointment.
Do you feel any pain?
After chipping a tooth, you may not be in pain or uncomfortable. It really depends on the extent of the chip, where your tooth was chipped, and which tooth was damaged. Some people, for example, lightly chip a tooth when eating something overly hard or crunchy. If it is small, the chip may go unnoticed until you brush and floss your teeth. If you are in pain, you need to call our dental office in Rancho Santa Margarita immediately. Pain is your body’s way of alerting you to a problem, and by restoring your tooth, we can prevent further damage and infections.
Are you bleeding?
We encourage you to visit our dentist practice immediately if you notice that your tooth has become chipped and you are also bleeding. This could be an indication that you have suffered more dental damage than you are currently aware of. Rinse your mouth out with warm salt water, and if the bleeding persists, come on in.
Check out what others are saying about our chipped tooth support services on Yelp: What Should I Do If I Chip My Tooth in Rancho Santa Margarita
Was it your tooth or your child’s?
As a family dentist serving the Rancho Santa Margarita area, we treat generations of families. We need to know the age of the person who suffered damage because this will directly influence our treatment recommendations. Children tend to be more sensitive to discomfort, so it is wise to have any damage restored on the same day as the accident.
Steps to Take After Chipping a Tooth
If you have ever wondered, “What should I do if I chip my tooth?” this information is good to keep in your back pocket. We always welcome your calls, questions, and visits to our dental office in Rancho Santa Margarita. This guide should be a reference point, but ultimately, you should still visit the dentist.
Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater. This will help remove debris, any surface blood, and reduce the chance of developing an infection.
Place a piece of gauze or a cool rag in your mouth and press on the area that is bleeding. Applying light pressure may also help ease any discomfort being caused by the tooth being chipped and the dentin being exposed. As a family dentist that serves residents of the 92688 zip code and surrounding areas, we have found this to be particularly useful for helping our young patients take their mind off their discomfort.
You can purchase dental cement at many drugstores and use it to temporarily cover the damaged tooth. As a cosmetic dentist, we prefer to simply treat your tooth and restore it immediately. However, if you are traveling, have a busy day at work, or simply cannot find the time to come in, this is a useful temporary solution. Just be sure to visit Doan Dental Group the next day.
Call our cosmetic dental services office at 949-713-6720 and schedule an appointment to be seen as soon as possible. We will do our best to work around your schedule so you can have your tooth restored immediately.
Ways We Restore Chipped Teeth
When looking for a “dentist near me” to treat a chipped tooth, be sure to visit a cosmetic dentist. We are an emergency dentist and a cosmetic dentist, which means we can treat you right away while also restoring your tooth in a manner that is natural-looking and beautiful.
As a cosmetic dentist, we have several ways to restore a chipped tooth, including:
- We regularly use dental bonding to restore chipped teeth in children. This is the fastest way to do so because we can complete the process in one visit. As a cosmetic dentist, we apply tooth-colored bonding material to the damaged tooth, shape, and harden it for a natural-looking restoration. At Doan Dental Group we can also use dental bonding when treating adults. However, the bonding material is generally not as long-lasting as a veneer or dental crown.
- If you have lost a tooth in addition to damaging one, we can use the solutions above to restore the damage and then work on replacing your missing tooth. We can do so using dental crowns and bridges or dental implants. Both solutions will restore the appearance and functionality of your smile.
- If you are wondering, “What should I do if I chip my tooth?” the best thing to remember is to call our our practice. At Doan Dental Group we always try to treat you right away so you do not experience unnecessary discomfort. Simultaneously, we will try everything in our power to restore your tooth in a way that is both beautiful and natural-looking. To schedule an appointment, call (949) 713-6720.
- Many of the adults who visit our general dentist office prefer to repair their teeth using dental veneers. A veneer can be used to restore a chipped tooth, cover dark stains, close gaps in between teeth, and more. This makes veneers an incredibly popular option among our patients.
- When visiting us for a chipped tooth, let us know if you would also like to improve your smile. We can offer you a quick teeth whitening treatment that will brighten your smile and improve your self-confidence. When combined with dental restorations, this is an excellent way to enhance your appearance.